Classified as a heritage structure by the Government of Karnataka, the Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion is one of the must visiting places in Mysore. Situated in Manasagangothri, part of the University of Mysore; it is built on a hillock on the west side of the Kukkarahalli Lake. It takes about 10 minutes to reach here from Mysore Junction or Mysore City Bus Stand.
If you are planning to visit Mysore; then don’t miss the visit to Jayalakshmi Vilas Mansion as the scenic beauty of this place is further enhanced by Kukkarahalli Lake. This mansion is built on the western side of this lake. You will love to engorge your senses with the beauty of nature here. This place is a must have on your list of Mysore visiting places. Now let us tell you about the history of this mansion:
JAYALAKSHMI VILAS PALACE: HISTORY
- This place was constructed in 1905 at the cost of Rs.7 Lakhs for Princess Jayalakshmi Ammani who was the eldest daughter of Maharaja Chamaraja Wodeyar.
- Initially this place was called “the first Rajkumari Mansion.”
- The princess was married to Sirdar M. Kantharaj Urs, who became the Dewan of Mysore, and this mansion was constructed for the couple so as to suit their status of being a Dewan and a Princess.
- However, this building was in a dilapidated condition and in 2002 its renovation work began which completed in 2006 with a cost of Rs.1.17 crores.
Want to know as to why this is one of the best visiting places in Mysore for history, nature and art lovers? Well! This place houses three museums which are always on the list of Mysore visiting places of tourists. Let us talk about these museums now:
JAYALAKSHMI VILAS MANSION: MUSEUMS
- This places houses 3 museums namely Archaeology Museum, Folklore Museum & General Museum.
- Each museum thrills us with unique exhibits of art and crafts.
- One of the most popular tourist places near Mysore; the Folklore Museum houses about 6,500 folk arts and artefacts which bring alive the traditional culture of the state of Karnataka.
- Archaeology Museum houses unique stone sculptures and paintings.
- General Museum displays the things which were used by the Royal Family.
Another eye catching in this, one of the most famous visiting places in Mysore, is its architecture:
JAYALAKSHMI VILAS : ARCHITECTURE
- Spread across 6 acres the main attraction of this place’s architectural beauty is its dancing hall which has 40 feet high roof studded with colored illuminated glasses.
- The first floor of the palace has Goddess Bhuvaneswari statue on its southern side. Towards the northern side, a statue of Goddess Lakshmi is placed.
- The palace has about 125 rooms and its central part; which is a very wide spread area with balconies truly makes this place a perfect example of architectural splendor of Mysore and tourists are always thronging here making it one of the must Mysore visiting places.
JAYALAKSHMI VILAS MANSION: TIMINGS AND ENTRY FEE
- This place is open from 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM and then from 03:00 PM to 05:00 PM all the days of the week except for Sundays.
- Photography is prohibited.
- The place is also closed on second Saturdays and on most government holidays so you are required to plan your trip accordingly to this, one of the most historically and culturally significant, tourist places near Mysore.
- Bus, auto rickshaws and cabs ply on this route. Even University Buses can take you here so it is very easy, comfortable and convenient to reach here.
- Entry fee to this place is not there; however the museums do have their own entry fees.
So what are you waiting for folks? Pack your bags and Mysore welcomes you to have a glance on a part of our country’s rich cultural, historical and traditional heritage.